Enrique Igoa Mateos
Born in Madrid, Spain, in 1958. He studied in the Real Conservatorio Superior de Música de Madrid, reaching the titles of 'Profesor de Piano' and of 'Profesor Superior de Composición'. He is also 'Licenciado' (Bachelor) in Geography and History, 'Diplomado' (Title of Advanced Studies) and Doctor in Hispanic Music with a PhD dissertation on the sonatas of Antonio Soler (Universidad Complutense de Madrid). He has teached in the Conservatory Arturo Soria at Madrid (Harmony, Counterpoint, Musical Analysis and Composition), and has been Professor of Composition and Musical Analysis in the Real Conservatorio Superior de Madrid. He attended courses of jazz with Pedro Iturralde, of Composition and Electronic Music in Berklee College and New England Conservatory at Boston (with a Fulbright scholarship), of Contemporary Composition at the Darmstadt Summer School (with B. Ferneyhough, H. Halbreich, M. Feldmann and W. Rihm), and of Contemporary Music Analysis with Arturo Tamayo at the University of Alcalá de Henares (Madrid).
He has imparted several courses of Acoustics and of Musical Analysis at the Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, Universidad Complutense de Madrid and Universidad de Castilla y León, as well as in several conservatories in Spain (León, Astorga, Oviedo, Salamanca and Puertollano). He is invited professor in Italy and Germany, where he has given courses and seminars about Iberian 18th century sonata and 20th century Spanish music. He has also given lectures and musical auditions. He has written two books on Musical Analysis and published articles about the same field in Anuario Musical, Revista de Musicología, Revista Scherzo, Revista Doce Notas Preliminares, Ópera Actual, Revista de la Asociación de Percusionistas, Concerto, Quodlibet, Revista Música and Música y Educación. He has been jury in several compositions and playing competitions.
Ha has received commissions from performers, chamber ensembles (Grupo Círculo, Grupo LIM, Grupo Cosmos, Sonor Ensemble, Modus Novus, Grupo Enigma), Tabir Percusión, Orquesta de Cámara Reina Sofía, Orquesta Sinfónica de la Comunidad de Madrid, etc., as well as from festivals and Ministry of Culture. His works ranged from pieces for solo instruments (piano, organ, guitar, accordion, harp and harmonica), duos, trios, string quartet, guitar quartet, chamber ensemble, percussion ensemble, vocal music, choral music and electronic music to works for guitar and orchestra, violin and orchestra, chorus and orchestra, symphonic orchestra, scenic and dance works. He has been awarded the following prizes:
• 1st Composition Prize of the Festival de Musique Sacrée of Fribourg (Switzerland) in 1989 for his work Estudio III 'Ascensión' op. 14 for organ;
• 1st Prize of Marimolin 8th Annual Composition Contest de Princeton, New Jersey (USA) in 1995, for his work Estudio VI 'Secuencias' op. 22b for violin and marimba;
• 1st Prize of the 10th Composition Contest for Classic Guitar in Granada (Spain) in 1997 for his work Estudio VII 'Regreso a Jan Mayen' op. 29 for guitar;
• 2nd Prize of the International Composer’s Competition 'Jihlava 1998' (Czech Republic) for his Antífona de Adviento op. 24 for mixed choir.
• 1st Prize of the Juan Bautista Comes Composition Contest of the XVI Festival of Choral Music of Segorbe, Castellón-1999 (Spain) for his work Antífona de Navidad op. 34 for mixed choir.
• Obertura para un paisaje urbano op. 38a, selected by C.D.M.C. (Ministry of Culture) for XII Festival de Música Electroacústica 'Punto de encuentro' (2003), by XX and XXI Festival Internacional de Música Contemporánea de Alicante (2004, 2005), by the 'Laboratorio del Espacio' del LIEM (2011) and by 'Congreso de Espacios Sonoros' (2020).
• Mention of honour of the Composition Competition pour Orgue de la Ville de Nice et des Alpes Maritimes (France) for his work Invocationes tempore belli op. 47 for organ.
• Mention of honour in Kromatika Composition Competition (Spain) for his work In paradisum op. 8 for choir.
• Member of Yearbook Who's who in the World from 2009.
• Member of 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century from 2010, edited by International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England.
His works have been premiered and played in Festival de Música Contemporánea COMA de Madrid, Festival Internacional de Primavera Andrés Segovia, Festival Internacional de Música Contemporánea de Alicante, Festival Internacional de Santander, Festival de Música Contemporánea de Bilbao BBK, Festival de Música Coral de Segorbe, Festival de Ayamonte, Jornadas de Informática y Electrónica Musical de Madrid, Festival de Música Coral de Jihlava (Czech Republic), Festival de Musique Sacrée (Fribourg – Switzerland), etc., and in other concerts in Spain, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Holland, England, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Israel, Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, South Korea, China and United States.